Cowley Place, Oxford
Andrew Dawson and Paul Southouse
The 1928 building is a timber framed single storey utilitarian barrack style building. Added to the school with the intention of being temporary, it is still in use today. The project provides the ideal opportunity to reorganise and make more effective use of space. This includes the extension of the Sixth Form Centre to accommodate the introduction of female students in 2010.
The Sixth Form Centre has been designed to promote investigative, creative and social activities for students. In contrast to the existing condition of a large open hall, the proposal now includes spatial options for students. Through the use of spatial definition, colour, furniture, patterns and lighting the design is energetic and youthful, making it an ideal school home for Sixth Form students.